We’ve got a dedicated wine team – people working in the wine industry all day, every day.
We’re Australia’s principal wine law team – no other firm in Australia has our depth and diversity of expertise in wine law. We’ve worked with the Australian wine industry for decades; locally, interstate and overseas. Our understanding of the wine industry is unparalleled, but we know that it’s critical we also understand our clients’ specific business issues and commercial needs.
We act for clients in every sector of the industry and in every major wine region in Australia. Our diverse client base includes the biggest players in Australia and many household names, right through to numerous small family wineries. We also represent wine industry bodies, research bodies and a whole host of State and regional bodies. We’ll work closely with you to help achieve your business imperatives with strategic, tailored and commercially-relevant advice.
How can we help you?
We help wine industry clients with a whole range of legal issues, including business structuring, mergers and acquisitions, capital raising, contracts, competition and consumer issues, lease back agreements, land divisions, boundary realignments and water rights allocations. We’re particularly experienced in winery due diligence – you get a more insightful and streamlined service because we know what to look for and where.
We’ve been running the Finlaysons Wine Roadshow for over 25 years – visiting the industry on its own turf and giving practical advice on critical business issues.
- acting in relation to the sale and purchase of the Knappstein Wines business in the Clare Valley;
- acting in relation to the sale and purchase of the Deakin Estate wine business in the Murray Darling region;
- representing two wine clients in relation to their dealings with Wine Australia over label integrity issues;
- advising various wineries concerning COVID-19 issues, including those relating to workplace management and force majeure;
- advising various wineries in relation to bushfire/smoke taint related issues, including in relation to their dealings with the ACCC over relevant clauses in grape supply agreements;
- advising various clients in relation to development of innovative new “wine products”;
- acting in relation to a number of major WET audits;
- assisting a number of clients to negotiate and document new distribution arrangements, and terminate existing agreements, both domestically and in various export markets including China, the UK and the USA;
- assisting a major winery to negotiate and document a major logistics contract; and
- advising a number of family wine businesses concerning their succession planning.
Related Sectors & Services