We’ve got a dedicated wine team – people working in the wine industry all day, every day.
We are Australia’s principal wine law team – no other firm in Australia has our depth and diversity of experience and expertise in wine law. We have worked with the Australian wine sector for decades; locally, interstate and overseas. Our understanding of the sector is unparalleled, but we know that it is critical that we also understand our clients’ specific business issues and commercial needs.
We act for wineries in all major viticultural regions of Australia. We also have foreign wine industry clients.
Our diverse client base includes some of the biggest beverage alcohol companies in the world, through to a large number of SME’s and a whole mass of small family wine businesses. As well as wineries, we also act for growers, suppliers to the wine sector, research bodies and national, state and regional wine industry associations.
We will work closely with you to help you achieve your business goals, with strategic, tailored and commercially relevant advice and documentation.
How can we help you?
Finlaysons Wine Group provides a complete range of commercial legal services to a wine business of any nature or size. Our services include business structuring, mergers & acquisitions, capital raising, grape supply, wine supply, processing, bottling and distribution contracts, competition & consumer law issues, vineyard and winery sales, land divisions, water issues, intellectual property, workplace and occupational health & safety, tax, finance, succession, new product development and labelling. We are particularly experienced in wine business due diligence – you will receive a rigorous report because we know what to look for and where.
Although we are based in Adelaide, we are very much a national practice. We come to you when you want to see us.
We have been running the Finlaysons Wine Roadshow for nearly 30 years – visiting winemakers and grape growers on their own patch to provide practical, legal and commercial advice on critical business issues.
- acting in relation to the sale and purchase of the Knappstein Wines business in the Clare Valley;
- acting in relation to the sale and purchase of the Deakin Estate wine business in the Murray Darling region;
- representing two wine clients in relation to their dealings with Wine Australia over label integrity issues;
- advising various wineries concerning COVID-19 issues, including those relating to workplace management and force majeure;
- advising various wineries in relation to bushfire/smoke taint related issues, including in relation to their dealings with the ACCC over relevant clauses in grape supply agreements;
- advising various clients in relation to development of innovative new “wine products”;
- acting in relation to a number of major WET audits;
- assisting a number of clients to negotiate and document new distribution arrangements, and terminate existing agreements, both domestically and in various export markets including China, the UK and the USA;
- assisting a major winery to negotiate and document a major logistics contract; and
- advising a number of family wine businesses concerning their succession planning.
Related Sectors & Services