Finlaysons’ deep industry knowledge and depth of experience in areas such as Property, Corporate and Commercial law, Employment, Taxation, Finance, Family Business and Intellectual Property allows us to assist our clients across the agri-food supply chain and in all sub-sectors from the very beginning.
The Agribusiness sector is projected to grow over the next five years, due to the increasingly globalised nature of the food supply chain.
Estimated at $282 billion, the industry is an iconic part of Australia’s identity and Finlaysons is uniquely positioned to assist our clients across the entire lifecycle of their business from Farm to Fridge.
We are actively involved in industry and agri-political discussion and clients benefit from our close relationships with regulatory agencies, elected officials and key stakeholder groups in this sector.
Finlaysons has been at the heart of this dynamic industry for over 150 years and have seen the sector become more sophisticated and its legal requirements more complex.
How can we help you?
We assist both exporters and importers to navigate the regulatory and legal challenges facing the sector and to provide guidance and develop solutions in relation to the complexities of interstate and international trade (including food trust and assurance), commercial domestic and foreign investment, capital raising, tax structuring, research, development, and deployment of new technologies, business structure and sale, intellectual property / branding protection and enforcement and data and cyber threats.
Agribusiness is not just about multinationals and a significant contribution is made by SME’s and family business. By harnessing the experience of our Family Business practice, we are able to offer the support necessary to understand the myriad of complex legal issues that regulate business in Australia and provide advice on intergenerational succession.
Our Agribusiness practice is complemented by our preeminent Wine practice that provides specialist legal services to the wine industry.
- Advising an ASX listed agribusiness company in relation to changes to Australia’s foreign investment regime and drafting various submissions to the Foreign Investment Review Board in relation thereto. These submissions were integral to subsequent changes being made to the legislation and regulations underpinning Australia’s foreign investment regime.
- Advising an ASX listed winery group in relation to the recent acquisition of a number of substantial assets throughout Australia as well as a range of high value, long-term procurement contracts of critical importance to the group’s operations.
- Advising a foreign owned agricultural business operating across Australia and internationally, specialising in grain storage, handling and export, in relation to changes to Australia’s foreign investment regime and the impacts on its business and operations.
- Acting for numerous administrators and receivers & managers in relation to the administration and receivership of ASX-listed and non-ASX listed companies. This has included the sale of various substantial businesses and assets throughout Australia and New Zealand, across a wide array of industries including automotive, agriculture, agribusiness, aquaculture, forestry, hospitality, wine and wholesale food distribution.
- Advising a South Australian winery on the tax aspects of introducing an international investor.
- Advising an Australian environmental management company on the tax aspects on introducing an international investor.
- Advising a large multi-national corporation with respect to stamp duty issues on the acquisition of a major asset and obtaining a very favourable stamp duty assessment for the client.
- Advising international investors as to how to structure, from a tax and stamp duty point of view, the acquisition of various significant agribusiness interests in Australia.
Recent Industry Recognition and Awards:
‘First Tier’ South Australian Leading Agribusiness Law Firm – Doyles 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016
‘Second Tier’ South Australian Leading Agribusiness Law Firm – Doyles 2020
Will Taylor – Preeminent Agribusiness Lawyer –Doyles 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016
Jeremy Schultz – Recommended Leading Agribusiness Lawyer – Doyles 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017
Gavin Cragg – Best Lawyers South Australia 2021 – Agriculture & Rural Affairs
Related Sectors & Services