Our specialist advice, commercial focus and strong networks in industry and government enable us to meet your diverse requirements. This positions us as an industry leader and the firm of choice for resources clients.
The resources sector delivers economic wealth, jobs, high wages, investment and tax revenues to Australians.
The sector’s contribution has exploded since the most recent mining boom kicked off in the mid-2000s.
Together with mining services, the resources sector makes up over 8 per cent of Australia’s economy.
Mining activities are heavily regulated, and mining companies must manage broad-ranging issues including a shift away from traditional resources towards minerals that feed into the battery supply chain and support a transition to a low carbon economy.
Finlaysons specialist Resources and Mining team assists companies to respond to these challenges and convert opportunities into future success.
How can we help you?
Our expertise covers all stages of the industry, from exploration through to mining and production, and all sectors – minerals, oil and gas and geothermal.
We understand the industry and your business imperatives and consistently provide commercial, innovative and sustainable solutions.
We have a long and successful track record of service to the resources industry. The specialist skills of our diverse team mean that we can meet all your legal needs.
Our resources team is recognised nationally for its expertise and an industry-leader in South Australia.
Our team has been involved in many of South Australia’s landmark mining projects, including:
- CU-River – Cairn Hill Project
- Iluka Resources – Jacinth-Ambrosia, Sonoran, Typhoon and Atacama projects
- IMX Resources – Cairn Hill project
- IronClad – Wilcherry Hill project
- Iron Road – Central Eyre Iron project
- OZ Minerals – Prominent Hill and Carrapateena projects
- Rex Minerals – Hillside project
- WPG Resources – Peculiar Knob project
We also undertake extensive work for a major South Australian oil and gas producer.
Our team has developed unique expertise in the diverse and often unique legal issues faced by the uranium industry and the emerging geothermal energy sector.
- Acting for, and providing extensive assistance and advice to, OZ Minerals Limited in relation to numerous aspects of its Prominent Hill and Carrapateena Copper-Gold Projects.
- Acting for Cu-River Mining Australia in relation to all aspects of its Cairn Hill Iron Ore Project, and the proposed $800 million expansion of its Australian mining operations.
- Acting for, and providing extensive assistance and advice to, Iron Road Limited in relation to its Central Eyre Iron Ore Project and a number of Iron Ore Joint Venture Agreements with other ASX listed entities.
- Advising Rex Minerals Limited in relation to its Hillside Copper Project.
- Acting for Iluka Resources Limited in relation to the drafting and negotiation of Farm-In and Joint Venture Agreements with other ASX listed entities.
- Acting for Chinese-owned Jiujiang Mining Australia in relation to its Australian mining operations and, in particular, drafting various submissions to, and liaising with, the Foreign Investment Review Board.
- Acting for a global mining company, headquartered in Brazil, in relation to the acquisition of exploration tenements and the provision of advice in relation to Australia’s foreign investment regime, including drafting applications to, and liaising with, the Foreign Investment Review Board.
- Acting for a privately-owned company regarding all aspects of its acquisition of the Far Fanning Gold Mine in Queensland.