South Australia is the hub of the Defence Industry, home to the key organisations and programs which are driving progress and capability across maritime, aerospace, land, systems and cyber security projects.
The substantial and projected growth within Defence Industry has created opportunities for local, national and international businesses.
Finlaysons has extensive experience and networks within the Defence Industry. We have a deep understanding of its history, the current situation on the ground and its direction. As a team of individuals who continuously provide innovative yet practical solutions, it is our pleasure to establish relationships with like-minded people within this industry to reach a common goal.
As a multi-disciplinary business our team has the unique ability to assist a variety of work as well as foresee issues before they arise.
We are active within property and development law, commercial disputes, intellectual property and workplace matters. We have also been a part of corporate transactions including mergers and acquisitions and supply distribution and procurement contracts.
Our complimentary practice model has supported our ability to achieve and surpass objectives set by clients. We represent Primes, multinational businesses and SMEs.
We have a particular focus in working with companies from outside Australia to establish their operations here, contributing to the growth and opportunities for the local economy.
Finlaysons are acknowledged as the sole legal provider to offer expert assistance to support international companies with their relocation and business development through the Defence and Space Landing Pad, located at Lot Fourteen.
“We have a deep knowledge of legal issues affecting the Defence Industry, including foreign companies with an Australian presence.” – Will Snow, Partner, Defence Industry Practice Head
Examples of our recent work for Defence Industry clients:
- Regulatory requirements when establishing and maintaining businesses in Australia
- Business to business and business to consumer contracts and audits of materials
- Procurement contracts and accompanying negotiation handrails
- Teaming agreements
- Leasing advice on new or existing sites
- Aligning tenure and occupation rights with a defence clients’ key contract dates, and all associated rights and risks
- Acquisition, leasing due diligence investigations and purchase contract advice
- Development and construction advice and documentation
- Advice and documentation on infrastructure
- Advice on essential policy and contractual terms to engage a workforce in Australia
- Obtaining exemptions under legislation to comply with ITAR requirements
- Establishment of local HR and WHS policy frameworks to achieve compliance
- Advice on management of workplace/personnel risks including investigations into misconduct and advice on termination of employment
- Research collaborations
- IP licensing and commercialisation for technology in the defence sector
- Trademarks and other IP registrations
- Foreign organisations tax commitments in Australia
- Tax structuring advice in relation to acquisitions and disposals
- Tax advice on redevelopments
- Tax advice on the implications of government grants
- Advice with respect to GST obligations
- Payroll tax liabilities in various Australian states and territories
- Advising on tax issues associated with fees to non-executive directors
- Australian superannuation obligations
- Assistance with visas through an in-house registered migration agent