Briony is widely recognised and highly regarded as a senior tax specialist, and whilst her expertise is predominately in tax, she has wider depth and experience across broader commercial matters, including estates and succession planning.Send a Message
Briony is experienced across all aspects of commercial and taxation matters, with extensive experience in conducting commercial transactions as well as advising on complex commercial, taxation and structuring issues.
Briony works with the other members of the Commercial & Tax teams to combine technical expertise, commercial experience and innovative solutions to assist our clients to meet their commercial objectives whilst satisfying their legal needs.
She acts on behalf of a wide range of clients including individuals through to small-to-medium enterprises and advises on all aspects of commercial transactions, ranging from one-off, large and complex matters to those encountered on a daily basis as well as the structuring of businesses and conduct of taxation disputes for both state and federal taxes.
Due to the nature of her work, Briony not only deals directly with clients but also works closely with the client’s legal, accounting, financial or other business advisors.
If you run a business, you know there are certain aspects that should be left to experts: like taxation. It’s a specialised and complex legal area that needs the understanding of a true tax professional — and you’d be hard-pressed to find better expertise than Briony.
As a Chartered Tax Advisor with a Masters of Taxation, Briony is experienced in advising on most areas of State and Federal taxes. Her expertise extends to income tax, capital gains tax, goods and services tax (GST), stamp duty, payroll tax, land tax and taxation disputes, and she has a finely tuned skill set when it comes to the structuring of businesses to be more tax effective.
- Advice regarding the restructure of major vineyard owners and operators involving the takeover of entities with more than $50M in vineyard assets.
- Restructure of significant agricultural land holdings amongst related entities.
- Acted for the vendor in the sale of a $20M shopping centre in Mt Barker.
- Acted for the purchaser in the purchase of a number of financial planning businesses Australia wide.
- Acted for the vendor in the sale of multiple financial planning businesses in South Australia.
- Advising on various state taxes issues at transaction level, audits and disputes including stamp duty, land tax and payroll tax.
Briony's ExpertiseSee all +
- Law Council of Australia – Taxation Committee Member
- The Tax Institute – Fellow and Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA)
- Bachelor of Commerce Adelaide University, 1998
- LL.B, Adelaide University, 2000
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice Law Society of South Australia, 2003
- Master of Taxation (with Excellence), University of New South Wales, 2017
- Lawyer of the Year 2022 and 2024 – Best Lawyers of Australia – Wealth Management / Succession Planning
- Best Lawyers of Australia – Wealth Management / Succession Planning, 2017 - 2023
- Best Lawyers of Australia – Trusts and Estates, 2019 – 2023
- Doyles Guide – Recommended Tax Lawyer (South Australia), 2017
- KPMG Prize for the Best Performance by a Graduating Student in the Master of Taxation (UNSW), 2018