Michael has spent over 35 years working solely in taxation law – he is a true specialist in his field. His deep experience in tax law means he can provide advice that considers each client’s unique situation and suggest tax-effective options and solutions to help clients achieve their commercial goals.Send a Message
Having worked in the tax groups of major law firms in London (Freshfields), New York (Sullivan & Cromwell) and Sydney (Allen, Allen & Hemsley), Michael has established a truly international tax and revenue practice from his base in Adelaide, servicing clients throughout Australia and all over the world. He provides clear, concise and commercially-focused advice and a high value and responsive service.
Michael’s expertise at state, federal and international levels includes income and company tax, capital gains tax (CGT), goods & services tax (GST), wine equalisation tax (WET) and fuel tax credits (FTCs), as well as stamp duty, payroll tax and land tax. Also experienced in international taxation, Michael has advised Australian and foreign companies extensively on the tax and GST implications of operating in, and outside, Australia including international transfer pricing arrangements.
Michael’s special interests include property taxation, company and trust taxation, tax disputes, wine and excise taxation, international and cross-border taxation, and estate & business succession planning (especially for families migrating to Australia). He has advised a range of clients on the tax and GST implications of property subdivisions and developments, mining operations and joint ventures, and also helped private clients deal with the difficult tax and family issues that often arise during asset division.
Michael's ExpertiseSee all +
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association, Jurisdictional Council Member (Australia) (and Past Chair, Taxation Law Committee)
- Taxation Institute (SA State Council, International Tax Committee, Education, Examinations and Quality Assurance Board SA Tax Technical Liaison Committee Member)
- International Tax Academy, Transfer Pricing Instructor (Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur)
- International Bar Association, Member
- China Business Network of South Australia, Committee Member
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons)
- Master of Laws (Cambridge)
- Bachelor of Economics
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers, Trusts and Estates 2022
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers, Superannuation Law 2021
- Best Lawyers, Tax Law 2013 - current
- Best Lawyers, Trusts and Estates 2014 - 2016
- Best Lawyers, Wealth Management / Succession Planning Practice 2014 - 2020
- Doyles Guide, Leading Tax Lawyer 2019 - current