Sam is an experienced commercial and dispute resolution lawyer, with significant specialised understanding and prominence in the area of construction.
Sam has regularly been recognised by clients and peers for his construction/infrastructure law expertise, most recently reflected by his recognition as Lawyer of the Year (Adelaide) in the field of Construction / Infrastructure law in the May 2021 publication of Best Lawyers.
Sam also has diverse experience in disputes involving property, defamation, wills and estates disputes, employment and work health and safety, environmental liability, corporate law and insolvency, succession and product liability.
Sam’s experience in dispute resolution includes conciliation, expert determination, arbitration, adjudication and litigation. Sam strives to achieve early and cost-effective resolutions for his clients but is diligent and committed to pursuing his clients’ rights through to a final determination if necessary.
Sam has provided training to a number of civil and commercial building companies, industry associations and government departments, on topics and issues pertinent to the construction industry, most recently on how to mitigate risks in drafting and managing construction contracts (including in the wake of COVID-19).
Sam has experience in complex and high-profile construction projects. His experience includes:
- Acting for a Government Department to prepare contracts for the construction and redevelopment of various major highway, roadwork and bridge construction projects, and providing associated procurement and contract delivery and management advice.
- Acting for a multi national company in relation to a multi party litigation involving the redevelopment of a hospital.
- Advising a multi national technology company in relation to disputes involving the construction of a prison.
- Advising a Government Department in relation to disputes involving the construction of an international marine supply base and separately in relation to the expansion of a mineral export facility.
- Acting for large construction companies in litigation and alternative dispute proceedings (arbitrations, expert determinations and adjudications).
- Advising organisations in relation to the preparation and negotiation of contracts for high rise commercial buildings and residential apartments.
- Acting for residential builders and home owners in the drafting of residential building contracts and the prosecution and resolution of disputes.
- Acted for Various clients in relation to defamation matters including claims arising from electronic publications and social media.
Sam's ExpertiseSee all +
- Law Council, Business Law Section, Construction and Infrastructure Law Committee Member
- Australian Institute of Building Member
- Housing Industry Association Member
- Civil Contractors Federation (SA) Member
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons)
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers, Construction/Infrastructure Law 2022
- Best lawyers, Construction/Infrastructure Law 2020-current
- Doyle’s Guide, Leading Front End Construction and Infrastructure Lawyer 2017-current
- Doyles Guide, Leading Construction and Infrastructure Litigation Lawyer 2017-current