With over 30 years of experience working in the health industry, both in Australia and the UK, Chris Sweet is one of the most knowledgeable lawyers working in the Australian health sector today.Send a Message
Chris understands the complexities and the unique relationship between the law and health industry. Furthermore, he has made it his priority to recognise the realities of practicing within the health profession.
His holistic approach to his work is why Chris is deemed such a trusted adviser. A true testament to his character as well as his dedication to his work and clients.
Chris has also contributed to several publications, including The Medical Observer and Australian Health Law Bulletin.
In the public sector, Chris has worked extensively with SA Health, in claims management, clinical and corporate risk management and legal advising in governance. This includes medical malpractice claims and regulatory matters involving the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
Chris has represented health practitioners in South Australia and the Northern Territory in relation to AHPRA regulations and various disciplinary processes.
In the private sector, Chris has assisted private hospital groups, independent community based private hospitals and health professionals on varied legal and risk related issues including clinical practice, by-laws, access to documents, legislative responsibilities and business processes. In more recent years, Chris has provided similar advice to both independent and group aged care providers.
Chris's ExpertiseSee all +
- Law Society of South Australia member
- Law Society of England and Wales member
- Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance member
- Board Member Eyre and Far North Local Health Network Governing Board
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
- Admitted as practitioner of the Supreme Court of South Australia 1989
- Admitted as practitioner of the High Court of Australia 1991
- Admitted to practice as a solicitor in England and Wales 1994
- Admitted as a practitioner of the Supreme Court of Western Australia 2001
- SA Hospitals Safety and Quality Council - Patient Safety Improvement Training course 2005
- Best Lawyers, Recommended Medical Negligence Lawyer - 2010-current
- Best Lawyers, Recommended Health and Ageing Lawyer – 2010, 2011
- Doyles Guide, Leading Medical Negligence Lawyers (Defendant) SA - 2018-current