Our team provides expertise across all practice areas relevant to agribusiness.
Our Agribusiness practice draws on Finlaysons’ depth of talent in areas such as Property, Corporate and Commercial law, Employment, Taxation, Finance, Family Business and Intellectual Property, and in this way, provides tailored and practical legal advice for all agribusiness needs. Our Agribusiness practice is complemented by our 22 year old Wine practice that provides specialist legal services to the wine industry.
Agribusiness is an increasingly important part of the Australian and South Australian economy. As South Australian annual agribusiness exports total $5b, our expertise allows us to assist and advise both exporters and importers on the complexities of interstate and international trade. Whether that be corporate or taxation advice or the protection of your brand in foreign markets, our practitioners are there to assist you, and have been recognised as leaders in their areas of expertise by such prestigious awards as Best Lawyers.
Food and agricultural technology are moving at a rapid pace, allowing Australia to compete and excel against international competitors. We are positioned to help you at all stages of research, development, and deployment of new technologies in your business.
We also recognise that there are numerous local issues, not the least of which is wealth and succession planning. Agribusiness is not just about multinationals and a significant contribution is made by SME’s and family business. By harnessing the experience of our Family Business practice we are able to offer the support necessary to understand the myriad of complex legal issues that regulate business in Australia.
Our proud history dates back to just 14 years after South Australia was colonised and we have seen the transition from traditional agricultural sectors such as cereal crops, sheep and cattle to the “new age” sectors such as aquaculture. Just as the agriculture sector has evolved, so has Finlaysons and we stand at the cutting edge of legal thinking.Download Information Sheet
Our areas of expertise include:
• representing land owners in the leasing, acquisition and sale of cropping, farming and viticultural land, and advising on environmental issues;
• acting in livestock sale and purchase contractual matters as well as disputes;
• acting on behalf of pastoral lease holders in the grant of mining and associated rights over pastoral lands and the determination of compensation;
• advising on the implications of the Select Committee on the Grain Handling Industry’s report and findings and developing risk management and other strategies in response;
• fire damage compensation claims and insurance advice;
• intellectual property/branding – up-front protection and dispute resolution;
• debt and capital raising;
• the sale and purchase of businesses;
• production joint ventures and share-farming agreements;
• negotiating and drafting off-take agreements;
• corporate structuring of industry bodies; and
• dealing with employment contracts and advising on management re-structure and redundancies in the agribusiness sector.
Agribusiness Association of Australia